Old 09-12-2008, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sheila Sheila is offline

Default What a beautiful afternoon

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Great :-)
How long has it been 'forming', 'working'?
I have a huge one at my daughter's house and wondered if it is ready for
turning yet.

(Huge? They have about 2 acres of landscaped gardens :-))

Mike

It started its life in a big dalek sized plastic thing, then I had to move
it at beginning of summer when we had new shed, so I just emptied it on
ground, and put it all back in a different place, and after the summer,
decided I didn't like it where it was, so I thought it would be better at
the bottom of the garden, I decided to put it there, but I saw some workmen
laying someone's drive, and the flags that were delivered were in pallet
type boxes, ideal, quite large, so I got them to deliver when they had
finished ( I knew the guy), and he dropped me two off, so it took two men to
carry it down the garden, about 150 foot, and although it isn't quite level
with fence, it will do.

I put the contents of black bin in one, and filled it up with leaves and
stuff from summer prunings, and the left hand empty bin has got just leaves
in, and am now starting to fill that one with household stuff too. The
right hand one, has gone down about a foot in height, ie the half barrow
full of stuff. so all in all its been about 2 years in the growing! The
books tell you to turn as often as possible, but its really quite difficult,
these are open sided like pallets, and I have covered with old carpet, so
there is quite a bit of oxygen getting in. I would like to have a third
box, that I can truly turn number 2 into number 3 and keep number one
"cooking" but I will have to spot him working locally again!

What is yours like? I would like to hear of everyone else's systems!