Old 09-12-2008, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What a beautiful afternoon

I was even inspired to go and turn my compost heap, and dug out half a
wheelbarrow of nice crumbly stuff from the bottom, do a little hoeing, and
moved a fence in front of the compost heap, ( I have two boxes side by side)
now they are not so unsightly. I was glad to go inside though, my nose was
all cold!

Old 09-12-2008, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Sheila" wrote in message
. ..
I was even inspired to go and turn my compost heap, and dug out half a
wheelbarrow of nice crumbly stuff from the bottom,

Great :-)
How long has it been 'forming', 'working'?
I have a huge one at my daughter's house and wondered if it is ready for
turning yet.

(Huge? They have about 2 acres of landscaped gardens :-))

Mike

Old 09-12-2008, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Great :-)
How long has it been 'forming', 'working'?
I have a huge one at my daughter's house and wondered if it is ready for
turning yet.

(Huge? They have about 2 acres of landscaped gardens :-))

Mike

It started its life in a big dalek sized plastic thing, then I had to move
it at beginning of summer when we had new shed, so I just emptied it on
ground, and put it all back in a different place, and after the summer,
decided I didn't like it where it was, so I thought it would be better at
the bottom of the garden, I decided to put it there, but I saw some workmen
laying someone's drive, and the flags that were delivered were in pallet
type boxes, ideal, quite large, so I got them to deliver when they had
finished ( I knew the guy), and he dropped me two off, so it took two men to
carry it down the garden, about 150 foot, and although it isn't quite level
with fence, it will do.

I put the contents of black bin in one, and filled it up with leaves and
stuff from summer prunings, and the left hand empty bin has got just leaves
in, and am now starting to fill that one with household stuff too. The
right hand one, has gone down about a foot in height, ie the half barrow
full of stuff. so all in all its been about 2 years in the growing! The
books tell you to turn as often as possible, but its really quite difficult,
these are open sided like pallets, and I have covered with old carpet, so
there is quite a bit of oxygen getting in. I would like to have a third
box, that I can truly turn number 2 into number 3 and keep number one
"cooking" but I will have to spot him working locally again!

What is yours like? I would like to hear of everyone else's systems!

Old 09-12-2008, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sheila" wrote
I was even inspired to go and turn my compost heap, and dug out half a
wheelbarrow of nice crumbly stuff from the bottom, do a little hoeing, and
moved a fence in front of the compost heap, ( I have two boxes side by
side) now they are not so unsightly. I was glad to go inside though, my
nose was all cold!

I spent the afternoon knocking off the last leaves and pruning the Wisteria
hard, it's quite large, runs across the front of the house, and tidying up
the front garden. Then trying to get the resultant rubbish into my Defender
van so I can take it down the tip tomorrow. Too much for our two wooden
compost bins on the allotment.
Didn't notice the cold till I stopped.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 09-12-2008, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Sheila" wrote
I was even inspired to go and turn my compost heap, and dug out half a
wheelbarrow of nice crumbly stuff from the bottom, do a little hoeing, and
moved a fence in front of the compost heap, ( I have two boxes side by
side) now they are not so unsightly. I was glad to go inside though, my
nose was all cold!

I spent the afternoon knocking off the last leaves and pruning the
Wisteria hard, it's quite large, runs across the front of the house, and
tidying up the front garden. Then trying to get the resultant rubbish
into my Defender van so I can take it down the tip tomorrow. Too much for
our two wooden compost bins on the allotment.
Didn't notice the cold till I stopped.

Now then Bob. No true land Rover owner would call his Defender a "van"

Mike

Old 09-12-2008, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Muddymike" contains these words:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Sheila" wrote
I was even inspired to go and turn my compost heap, and dug out half a
wheelbarrow of nice crumbly stuff from the bottom, do a little
hoeing, and
moved a fence in front of the compost heap, ( I have two boxes side by
side) now they are not so unsightly. I was glad to go inside though, my
nose was all cold!

I spent the afternoon knocking off the last leaves and pruning the
Wisteria hard, it's quite large, runs across the front of the house, and
tidying up the front garden. Then trying to get the resultant rubbish
into my Defender van so I can take it down the tip tomorrow. Too much for
our two wooden compost bins on the allotment.
Didn't notice the cold till I stopped.

Now then Bob. No true land Rover owner would call his Defender a "van"

No true Land Rover owner would admit to having one...

--
Rusty
SIIA SWB Hardtop

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 09-12-2008, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Sheila" wrote
I was even inspired to go and turn my compost heap, and dug out half a
wheelbarrow of nice crumbly stuff from the bottom, do a little hoeing,
and moved a fence in front of the compost heap, ( I have two boxes side
by side) now they are not so unsightly. I was glad to go inside though,
my nose was all cold!

I spent the afternoon knocking off the last leaves and pruning the
Wisteria hard, it's quite large, runs across the front of the house, and
tidying up the front garden. Then trying to get the resultant rubbish
into my Defender van so I can take it down the tip tomorrow. Too much for
our two wooden compost bins on the allotment.
Didn't notice the cold till I stopped.

Now then Bob. No true land Rover owner would call his Defender a "van"

If it was alt.fan.Landover I would call it a 1986 90 Hardtop Utility 2½
petrol like you might call yours an Air Portable/Rangie hybrid but for most
on here those names wouldn't mean much. :-)
--
Regards
Bob Hobden