Old 10-12-2008, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default torn tomato needing saving

Hi Poms

I have a wee problem with a tomato plant one of you might be able to help
with.

The plant is about 1 foot tall and has 2 central stems at about a 30 angle.
I noticed yesterday the two stems had 'torn' down the middle, ripping just
above the roots.

The tomato is still alive & both stems getting nutrients. I do however want
to ensure things do not get worse & my tomato remains viable for the summer.

I thought maybe I could:
Carefully individually stake the two stems to take load off
warp something around the tear to provide some stability & hope the wound
will self heal. I thought about cauze surgical dressings.

Any other thoughts/suggestion welcome. Ta.

rob