Old 10-12-2008, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Luton[_2_] Paul Luton[_2_] is offline

Default torn tomato needing saving

Spider wrote:
"George.com" wrote in message
Hi Poms

I have a wee problem with a tomato plant one of you might be able to help
with.

The plant is about 1 foot tall and has 2 central stems at about a 30
angle. I noticed yesterday the two stems had 'torn' down the middle,
ripping just above the roots.

The tomato is still alive & both stems getting nutrients. I do however
want to ensure things do not get worse & my tomato remains viable for the
summer.

I thought maybe I could:
Carefully individually stake the two stems to take load off
warp something around the tear to provide some stability & hope the wound
will self heal. I thought about cauze surgical dressings.

Any other thoughts/suggestion welcome. Ta.

rob

In most cases I would agree with Emrys, but I'm assuming you wish to
experiment.....

Whenever, I've had a tomato plant break, I've just put the cutting in water
and waited for it to root. I've never been disappointed. Even somewhat
advanced side branches which are cut out in summer (as a part of ordinary
pruning) will do the same thing. So I think your best chance is to cut one
torn leader away neatly, then root it in water. If it's successful, and if
the existing plant is either too leggy or just spoiled, then try the same
with that, too. You could end up with two healthy plants awaiting the
summer.

Or plant the remaining part deeper so that the tear is underground. It
should make new roots from the buried stem.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames