Old 11-12-2008, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default torn tomato needing saving

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote in message
Hi Poms

I have a wee problem with a tomato plant one of you might be able to

help
with.

The plant is about 1 foot tall and has 2 central stems at about a 30

angle.
I noticed yesterday the two stems had 'torn' down the middle, ripping

just
above the roots.

The tomato is still alive & both stems getting nutrients. I do however

want
to ensure things do not get worse & my tomato remains viable for the

summer.

I thought maybe I could:
Carefully individually stake the two stems to take load off
warp something around the tear to provide some stability & hope the

wound
will self heal. I thought about cauze surgical dressings.

Any other thoughts/suggestion welcome. Ta.

rob

I would definitely discard that plant as it is doomed to failure. Not
only will is probably develop disease, it will be very very diffult to
manage. You should have 'pinched out ' http://tinyurl.com/5nahl3
one of those two leaders as soon as they become visible and then you
would not have had this trouble.

Hope that helps and sorry to be so gloomy.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

yes, thanks for the hindsightful advice. I normally do pinch out but this
plant got neglected for a few days and bolted. I am of a mind to try and
nurse it through but maybe try and cauterise the wound.

rob