Old 12-12-2008, 03:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Paddy's Pig[_3_] Paddy's Pig[_3_] is offline

Default My buddy

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message
Paddy's Pig wrote:

Confident li'l guy, isn't he?

Confident? Yeah that's a good word for them. They're sure not bashful.

And if I've neglected refilling their feeders for a day or two they'll come
over and hover right outside my office or my breakfast nook and look inside
the house --- as if they're saying "Hey! Get off your butt and come out and
feed us!"

And they follow me around like I'm Santa Claus. A few months ago I was
maybe 10 to 12 feet inside the building when I heard a kind of familiar whir
behind my right shoulder. It went on for 20 or so seconds and I had my eyes
focused on what I was doing inside the passenger side door but I was
thinking to myself gee - that sounds like one of the hummers! I turned
around and sure enough there the little guy was. I guess he was supervising
me or something. I waved at him and walked to the back of the car where I
was loading a cooler in my trunk. I opened the trunk and he came forward to
check it out and see if I had any goodies in there for him. Then he backed
up so I could finish what I was doing.

All in all he must have been in there at least a minute looking at anything
that interested him.

Somebody commented that in his experience hummers get claustrophobic and
confused inside a building. He said one had been in his garage a few years
ago and it flew around aimlessly and couldn't find the way out.

I sure didn't see any of that behavior. The bird had no trouble navigating
his way around. When he got bored with me he buzzed right back outside.
--
Pat Durkin