Old 13-12-2008, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default HELP - AppleTree Grafting/Budding Book Recommendations Please

The message
from Gary contains these words:

I only put the five MM106 Rootstocks in two weeks ago, with the long
and high root system (but still only 10mm twigs) I thought I could
graft about the time you suggest, March/early April but in 2009.

Might be asking questions the book may tell me, but, there is nothing
like asking in person people who are experienced, (which I appreciate)
If you take the scions in late February, how do you personally store
them and keep them fresh till late March/early April???

Will I be able to try bud grafting THIS Summer time (July'ish) ????

May as well, also trying to locate some M26 or M27 and have a go at
them, the more the merrier, can give some away for presents as pot
specimens if I am successful !!!

Sorry for the list of questions, but I am keen to know.

Hum. You could try budding rather than grafting, which should be more
likely to be successful.

I haven't done any for more years than I like to contemplate (my
grandfather showed me when he was younger than I am now...) but from the
donor tree, remove a shield-shaped piece of bark with a lateral bud on
it, cut a 'T' slit where you want the new branch, peel back carefully
the flaps and insert the bark with bud.

There are good proprietary tapes for closing-up the graft these days, we
used raffia and beeswax in - er - 1953-ish.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig