Old 18-12-2008, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Dahlia excelsia?

On 18 Dec, 09:14, Charlie Pridham wrote:
How easy are they to lift? and is there any point? I know a couple of you
grow them (Plant is not mine)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

I dont know this variety and I can find no trace of it on line so I
can't really advise, How long has it been in the ground?
I find that the tree dahlias lift well though the tubers can be
larger,
I lifted one young one which had very thin an under developed
(fortunatly) tubers/roots, and the longest was just over 4ft long.
You can cut the actual tubers without doing harm to the plant as long
as the cut is alowed to dry.
If there is ever a spare plant of it I'd be interested.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries