Old 18-12-2008, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dahlia excelsia?

How easy are they to lift? and is there any point? I know a couple of you
grow them (Plant is not mine)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 18-12-2008, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 18 Dec, 09:14, Charlie Pridham wrote:
How easy are they to lift? and is there any point? I know a couple of you
grow them (Plant is not mine)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

I dont know this variety and I can find no trace of it on line so I
can't really advise, How long has it been in the ground?
I find that the tree dahlias lift well though the tubers can be
larger,
I lifted one young one which had very thin an under developed
(fortunatly) tubers/roots, and the longest was just over 4ft long.
You can cut the actual tubers without doing harm to the plant as long
as the cut is alowed to dry.
If there is ever a spare plant of it I'd be interested.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 18-12-2008, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/12/08 10:05, in article
, "Dave
Hill" wrote:

On 18 Dec, 09:14, Charlie Pridham wrote:
How easy are they to lift? and is there any point? I know a couple of you
grow them (Plant is not mine)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

I dont know this variety and I can find no trace of it on line so I
can't really advise, How long has it been in the ground?
I find that the tree dahlias lift well though the tubers can be
larger,
I lifted one young one which had very thin an under developed
(fortunatly) tubers/roots, and the longest was just over 4ft long.
You can cut the actual tubers without doing harm to the plant as long
as the cut is alowed to dry.
If there is ever a spare plant of it I'd be interested.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

This is the one we've gone back and forth about, David. We believe the one
you gave us to be D. excelsa but I think you call it D.imperialis. We have
D. imperialis also but it's very much taller than the beautiful plant you
gave us and yours has bright pink double flowers and plenty of them, while
D. imperialis has single flowers and right at the top.
To answer Charlie we don't lift our D. excelsas but Ray always puts a good
thick mulch over them. One lot is in a bed beside the house and another is
in the Hydrangea Walk but has some protection from nearby trees and a thick
yew hedge.
There are various links to Dahlia excelsa here
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...=Google+Search

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-12-2008, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 18/12/08 10:05, in article
, "Dave
Hill" wrote:

[...]

Many thanks both, I have pssed your comments on, Do you progate it for
sale Sacha? Oh and welcome back:~)
Old 18-12-2008, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/12/08 11:15, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 18/12/08 10:05, in article
, "Dave
Hill" wrote:

[...]

Yes we do. There's a pic of it on the website in the online shop of hardy
plants. It's really lovely but it does need very firm staking here when the
wind barrels up (or down!) the garden. Bamboos aren't strong enough. The
pic doesn't show it but we've photographed it with two chairs, one standing
on top of the other, for scale and it's a couple of feet taller than that!
The Dahlia imperialis is in the tender plants online shop with Ray standing
in as the scale model and he's around 6' tall! Thanks for the welcome back,
Charlie. Any likelihood of you getting up this way in the new year?

Old 18-12-2008, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
How easy are they to lift? and is there any point? I know a couple of you
grow them (Plant is not mine)

I didn't lift our D imperialis (from Sacha & Ray) and for a few years it was
OK but after a very wet winter it didn't come up again. Same thing happened
to the one I gave a friend as insurance. :-(
BTW they never grew big enough outside to flower despite getting to bedroom
window height, very beautiful architectural plants though, ideal for that
position you might put a banana.

So I would either lift now or take cuttings (earlier) as insurance.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-12-2008, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 18 Dec, 15:22, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Charlie Pridham" wrote

How easy are they to lift? and is there any point? I know a couple of you
grow them (Plant is not mine)

I didn't lift our D imperialis (from Sacha & Ray) and for a few years it was
OK but after a very wet winter it didn't come up again. Same thing happened
to the one I gave a friend as insurance. *:-(
BTW they never grew big enough outside to flower despite getting to bedroom
window height, very beautiful architectural plants though, ideal for that
position you might put a banana.

So I would either lift now or take cuttings (earlier) as insurance.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

I am trying to cross a dark leaf into the tree dahlias, I think it
would be a great back of border plant.
David Hill

AD: Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 0 04-03-2003 12:15 AM
Where to buy dahlia tubers online? Fleemo Gardening 9 10-02-2003 09:25 PM
David's Dahlia Starlord Gardening 0 10-02-2003 03:55 PM
(AD) Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 1 08-02-2003 01:49 PM
Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 0 06-02-2003 09:23 PM