Old 23-12-2008, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Time for learning

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 21:57:58 -0500, "Dan L."
wrote:

I signed up for a Master Gardening class during the winter. To get ready
for a new year and for a new growing season. I have read several books
over the years and yet, I still do not feel adequate, not enough to
consistently grow nice and healthy plants each year.

Is gardening like the "Racers Curse" I want my car to be faster than
others, I want my garden to grow nice and healthy each and every year?
Is this a fantasy? Are their gardeners that have nice and healthy plants
each and every year.

Sigh .... Dan

If it's any consolation I have been gardening all my life, was a
professional grower of annuals, perennials and woody plants
commercially, read countless books, tried hundreds of methods and I
can't grow a tomato to save my life. Not after I moved to Texas from
New York, anyway.

The most useful book I have is:

Secrets of the Soil
Storey Book
Victoria

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/
Updated daily when able.

Would that be "Secrets to Great Soil (Storey's Gardening Skills
Illustrated)"? This looks like an excellent series of books.
Unable to find "Secrets of the Soil by Story" from Amazon.

Books are an addiction of mine. currently reading "Gardening - when it
counts by Steve Solomon". Thanks for the book recommending a book. I
find that those that recommend books here are more reliable that the
reviews on Amazon.

Tomatoes are not too much of problem for me. However, cherry tomatoes
are the easiest for me, next are the early girls. The season is a little
short for the longer season growing tomatoes like brandywines. When I
try those I must start them indoors two months before the last frost.

I have a hard time with cucumbers. However, I will continue to try until
I find a variety that works. Then again it could be me.

I am wasting time with the class?

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.