Old 20-12-2008, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Time for learning

I signed up for a Master Gardening class during the winter. To get ready
for a new year and for a new growing season. I have read several books
over the years and yet, I still do not feel adequate, not enough to
consistently grow nice and healthy plants each year.

Is gardening like the "Racers Curse" I want my car to be faster than
others, I want my garden to grow nice and healthy each and every year?
Is this a fantasy? Are their gardeners that have nice and healthy plants
each and every year.

Sigh .... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Old 21-12-2008, 10:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Dan L." wrote in message
I signed up for a Master Gardening class during the winter. To get ready
for a new year and for a new growing season. I have read several books
over the years and yet, I still do not feel adequate, not enough to
consistently grow nice and healthy plants each year.

Is gardening like the "Racers Curse" I want my car to be faster than
others, I want my garden to grow nice and healthy each and every year?
Is this a fantasy? Are their gardeners that have nice and healthy plants
each and every year.

Sigh .... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

My feeling is that there are too many variations of locales within a zone,
soil types and mixture of soil types, drainage, weather, variations of a
plant species, and so forth is to only experiment locally to get it "right".
--
Dave

Old 23-12-2008, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 21:57:58 -0500, "Dan L."
wrote:

I signed up for a Master Gardening class during the winter. To get ready
for a new year and for a new growing season. I have read several books
over the years and yet, I still do not feel adequate, not enough to
consistently grow nice and healthy plants each year.

Is gardening like the "Racers Curse" I want my car to be faster than
others, I want my garden to grow nice and healthy each and every year?
Is this a fantasy? Are their gardeners that have nice and healthy plants
each and every year.

Sigh .... Dan

If it's any consolation I have been gardening all my life, was a
professional grower of annuals, perennials and woody plants
commercially, read countless books, tried hundreds of methods and I
can't grow a tomato to save my life. Not after I moved to Texas from
New York, anyway.

The most useful book I have is:

Secrets of the Soil
Storey Book
Victoria

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/
Updated daily when able.

Would that be "Secrets to Great Soil (Storey's Gardening Skills
Illustrated)"? This looks like an excellent series of books.
Unable to find "Secrets of the Soil by Story" from Amazon.

Books are an addiction of mine. currently reading "Gardening - when it
counts by Steve Solomon". Thanks for the book recommending a book. I
find that those that recommend books here are more reliable that the
reviews on Amazon.

Tomatoes are not too much of problem for me. However, cherry tomatoes
are the easiest for me, next are the early girls. The season is a little
short for the longer season growing tomatoes like brandywines. When I
try those I must start them indoors two months before the last frost.

I have a hard time with cucumbers. However, I will continue to try until
I find a variety that works. Then again it could be me.

I am wasting time with the class?

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 23-12-2008, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"Dan L." wrote in message
I signed up for a Master Gardening class during the winter. To get ready
for a new year and for a new growing season. I have read several books
over the years and yet, I still do not feel adequate, not enough to
consistently grow nice and healthy plants each year.

Is gardening like the "Racers Curse" I want my car to be faster than
others, I want my garden to grow nice and healthy each and every year?
Is this a fantasy? Are their gardeners that have nice and healthy plants
each and every year.

Sigh .... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

My feeling is that there are too many variations of locales within a zone,
soil types and mixture of soil types, drainage, weather, variations of a
plant species, and so forth is to only experiment locally to get it "right".

Ahhh .... you have hit the nail on the head! I have found reading and
experimenting can take one just far, books are generalized. If I read
the online course material correctly, these classes are locally
orientated. I am hoping I will meet other local gardeners and find out
more about gardening in my local area from more experienced gardeners.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Old 23-12-2008, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

I signed up for a Master Gardening class during the winter. To get ready
for a new year and for a new growing season. I have read several books
over the years and yet, I still do not feel adequate, not enough to
consistently grow nice and healthy plants each year.

Is gardening like the "Racers Curse" I want my car to be faster than
others, I want my garden to grow nice and healthy each and every year?
Is this a fantasy? Are their gardeners that have nice and healthy plants
each and every year.

Sigh .... Dan

Don't get in too much of a rush. Enjoy the ride. Does the soil look
better? How do your vegetables taste? Tried anything new? Stop
looking over your shoulder. The process is the goal, and like
anything else, the more you do it, the better it gets.
Remember Bungadora, if she can garden in Calgary, we all have a
chance.

Good gardening ;O)
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars
Old 23-12-2008, 03:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 22, 7:14*pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,
*"Dan L." wrote:

[...]

Blush!!!
Don't know if this is helpful or not, but it took me nearly 10 years
to get more than 2 tomatoes.
Dora
Old 23-12-2008, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
bungadora wrote:

On Dec 22, 7:14*pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,
*"Dan L." wrote:

[...]

That's it exactly. You take a challenge and see what you can do
with it. In our case, it is things that taste good. Lucky us.

Old 23-12-2008, 11:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

The only significant problems I have with tomatoes are transplanting
seedling, and, remembering to plant the seeds early enough if grown from
seed.

Summer usually sucks out the moisture and overheats the soil if planted out
in the open like I do. This dwarfs the fruit. This is the sign to pull
all, and wait for the fall. My only concern for spring is a late frost
planting in open ground.

--
Dave

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:12:05 -0500, "Dan L."
wrote:

Would that be "Secrets to Great Soil (Storey's Gardening Skills
Illustrated)"? This looks like an excellent series of books.
Unable to find "Secrets of the Soil by Story" from Amazon.

Yes, sorry, that's it. A most excellent series, I find.

Books are an addiction of mine. currently reading "Gardening - when it
counts by Steve Solomon". Thanks for the book recommending a book. I
find that those that recommend books here are more reliable that the
reviews on Amazon.

Tomatoes are not too much of problem for me. However, cherry tomatoes
are the easiest for me, next are the early girls. The season is a little
short for the longer season growing tomatoes like brandywines. When I
try those I must start them indoors two months before the last frost.

Oh Dan, I have a greenhouse and have started mine in March. The
problem is we have two short growing seasons here. Early spring and
the fall...sometimes we can grow in winter also. Here is S. Central
TX. The night temps are very high. I can grow cherry tomatoes, but
the cardinals love them, so I yield to the birds.

I have a hard time with cucumbers. However, I will continue to try until
I find a variety that works. Then again it could be me.

I am wasting time with the class?

Enjoy Life ... Dan

One of the best suppliers of short season varieties is Johnny's Seeds.
I believe they are certified organic and have an excellent, proven
selection.

Old 23-12-2008, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Well just relax and enjoy it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't.
I took the Master Gardener class 11 years ago and I am now the President
of the local Master Gardeners.
I should be fun not work. We have a Garden Show every spring and put the
money against a new Fair Grounds.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 24-12-2008, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

[...]

Most of the food taste great, some not so great. The smaller the vegi
the better tasting. The larger the vegi not as good, just ok no better
than the stuff at the store.

As Bungadora said "Cold is relative'. I received 17 inches of snow the
last 3 days, the low last night was -2 F, windchill -20 F. For me
gardening means reading and learning during the winter. Next year I plan
on dramatically expanding my vegi garden to from 700 sq ft - 7,000 sq
ft. and learn to preserve my food. I see hard times coming, if not here
all ready. Some of my friends believe the US currency will completely
collapse over the next few years. Remember, I live in Michigan the
hardest hit state of all the states in terms of unemployment. I feel the
need to be better prepared. A small windmill generator may go up to
power the well, sump pump and a small freezer, if I can find the time
and money.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.