Old 23-12-2008, 12:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default rural couriers (was cheap lawn aeration)

Jeßus wrote:
On a related topic:

My spreader *finally* arrived (communicating with couriers here is a
nightmare) last Friday. Only took 3.5 weeks - all the way from Hobart
(a mere 3 hour drive!)... Still, it only cost about $300, I couldn't
find anything else under $1300 (not all that much better in build
quality anyway). So the wait was worth it... Anyway, I digress.

You have a courier who actually delivers? The system here is they (or some
part of the delivery chain) take delivery of an item but by the time they
get to the nearest main road they decide they will not go further to our
minor road. When I refuse to allow items to be dropped at a shop on the
main road, where I would have to pick it up and security is uncertain, the
courier gets abusive. If I point out that the destination is plain and if
he (or his upstream agents) cannot deliver it then they shouldn't take it in
the first place. At this point he goes ballistic, it's all my fault you
see. I have tried to get vendors to check in advance before they consign
stuff but it does no good, the head of the chain always says yes we can do
it. Somebody is rorting the system but I cannot determine who.

It's now put together, ready for use. I'll wait another week for the
grass to grow, then give it a test run. Looks like there will be a
lot of trial and error to work out the setting for the correct rate
of release of fertiliser and/or seed. I might try a few dummy runs
with the 30y/o sawdust I have access to, thats assuming it doesnt
clog it up.

You can also use sand or sandy loam to dilute seed.

I'm hoping the sawdust *won't* clog up in the spreader, as I was
thinking about spreading the sawdust each and every time I cut the
grass, since there is not much in the way of organic matter in the
lawn. Previous owners clearly used a catcher for many years,
unfortunately. Not something I'll ever do!

But where did they put the clippings?

David

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --