Old 23-12-2008, 11:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default Time for learning

The only significant problems I have with tomatoes are transplanting
seedling, and, remembering to plant the seeds early enough if grown from
seed.

Summer usually sucks out the moisture and overheats the soil if planted out
in the open like I do. This dwarfs the fruit. This is the sign to pull
all, and wait for the fall. My only concern for spring is a late frost
planting in open ground.

--
Dave

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:12:05 -0500, "Dan L."
wrote:

Would that be "Secrets to Great Soil (Storey's Gardening Skills
Illustrated)"? This looks like an excellent series of books.
Unable to find "Secrets of the Soil by Story" from Amazon.

Yes, sorry, that's it. A most excellent series, I find.

Books are an addiction of mine. currently reading "Gardening - when it
counts by Steve Solomon". Thanks for the book recommending a book. I
find that those that recommend books here are more reliable that the
reviews on Amazon.

Tomatoes are not too much of problem for me. However, cherry tomatoes
are the easiest for me, next are the early girls. The season is a little
short for the longer season growing tomatoes like brandywines. When I
try those I must start them indoors two months before the last frost.

Oh Dan, I have a greenhouse and have started mine in March. The
problem is we have two short growing seasons here. Early spring and
the fall...sometimes we can grow in winter also. Here is S. Central
TX. The night temps are very high. I can grow cherry tomatoes, but
the cardinals love them, so I yield to the birds.

I have a hard time with cucumbers. However, I will continue to try until
I find a variety that works. Then again it could be me.

I am wasting time with the class?

Enjoy Life ... Dan

One of the best suppliers of short season varieties is Johnny's Seeds.
I believe they are certified organic and have an excellent, proven
selection.
Victoria

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/
Updated daily when able.