Old 24-12-2008, 04:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Dahlia excelsia?

On 23/12/08 21:14, in article
, "Dave
Hill" wrote:

On 18 Dec, 15:22, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Charlie Pridham" wrote

How easy are they to lift? and is there any point? I know a couple of you
grow them (Plant is not mine)

I didn't lift our D imperialis (from Sacha & Ray) and for a few years it was
OK but after a very wet winter it didn't come up again. Same thing happened
to the one I gave a friend as insurance. *:-(
BTW they never grew big enough outside to flower despite getting to bedroom
window height, very beautiful architectural plants though, ideal for that
position you might put a banana.

So I would either lift now or take cuttings (earlier) as insurance.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

I am trying to cross a dark leaf into the tree dahlias, I think it
would be a great back of border plant.
David Hill

Sounds lovely, David. I'm sure I've asked you this before and forgotten
your answer - did we give you D. Engelhardt's Matador? It has a lovely dark
leaf and a brilliant pink colour.
http://www.hillhousenursery.com/shop...5_detail_1.png
--
Sacha