Old 29-12-2008, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Best Wishes During the Holidays

"Frank H. Kirchner" wrote in message
I am sending best wishes to you all during this holiday season. With so
many stresses in the world, cultivation of our orchids can point to
directions and attitudes that could benefit society as a whole. If only we
could learn the lessons nature has to teach us!

Enough of the quasi-philiosophical and on to the mundane and pragmatic. I
am trying to cut down on the use of chemicals in the greenhouse for
contolling the various pests and critters that so delight in my orchids.
I recall from a long time ago a mix which I never used of Formula 409 and
isopropyl alcohol. Thoughts regarding its efficacy, proportions,
environmental issues would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance and again Happy Holidays!

Frank H. Kirchner

Me too. I'm usually a better living through chemistry kind of person, but
even I am trying other means. Steve always corrects me, but if I recall
correctly it 1 part alcohol, 1 part 409 and 6 parts water. I've started
using plain of 409 and also plain old alcohol, sprayed on the plants and or
insects. Be careful not to let the straight alcohol stand in the leaf axils
of very tight plants, like tolumnias, paphs or some vandas as its very
drying. I'm amazed at how well 409 kills ants. I have no experience with
how it works on scale or mealies. I've started using horicultural oil on
scale and insecticidal soap on mealies. I assume plain old dish soap would
probably work as well. Of course if I was a commercial grower I'd use some
real insecticides and gear up with personal protective equipment for their
use.

Happy Holidays to rgo!

K Barrett