Old 11-04-2003, 04:56 AM
mad

Default metals in water question

the way i understand it is that copper is deadly to koi and goldfish.
mad
--
Insanity is my only means of relaxation.

From: "MLF"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 17:59:14 -0500
Subject: metals in water question

Robin wrote:
I've heard stories about fish being poisoned by

different metal objects in
the pond. Does anyone know if stainless steel is

fish-friendly? This is a
small water garden of only 650 gallons.

Steel, stainless steel, and most other metals you're likely to run
into are fine with fish. I would be reluctant to use copper as well,
only because it is more reactive than steel and it anodizes quickly
with steel (of any sort); use plastic instead. Most other
problematic metals are out of common usage today - lead, for
instance.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)