Old 05-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Robin

Default metals in water question

I'd like to use stainless steel clamps to fasten an out-take tube to a pump
in my water garden. This tube runs from the pump out to the filter.

I've heard stories about fish being poisoned by different metal objects in
the pond. Does anyone know if stainless steel is fish-friendly? This is a
small water garden of only 650 gallons.

I was using plastic tie-clips for a while, but the tube keeps falling off
the pump and I have to readjust it.

Thanks,

Robin
-------------------------------------
Robin Sowton
http://www.rainierpubs.com/metro/gardens

Old 05-04-2003, 03:08 PM
John Rutz

Robin wrote:
I'd like to use stainless steel clamps to fasten an out-take tube to a pump
in my water garden. This tube runs from the pump out to the filter.

I've heard stories about fish being poisoned by different metal objects in
the pond. Does anyone know if stainless steel is fish-friendly? This is a
small water garden of only 650 gallons.

I was using plastic tie-clips for a while, but the tube keeps falling off
the pump and I have to readjust it.

Thanks,

Robin
-------------------------------------
Robin Sowton
http://www.rainierpubs.com/metro/gardens

stainless will be fine it is food safe

--

John Rutz
spring is here but its wheels are stuck in the snow

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 08-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Zeuspaul

Robin wrote:

I'd like to use stainless steel clamps to fasten an out-take tube to a pump
in my water garden. This tube runs from the pump out to the filter.

I've heard stories about fish being poisoned by different metal objects in
the pond. Does anyone know if stainless steel is fish-friendly? This is a
small water garden of only 650 gallons.

I was using plastic tie-clips for a while, but the tube keeps falling off
the pump and I have to readjust it.

Thanks,

Robin
-------------------------------------
Robin Sowton
http://www.rainierpubs.com/metro/gardens

Most stainless clamps have stainless bands and a different type of metal for
the screw. As noted stainless is safe..I don't know about the screw. Marine
boat stores generally carry stainless clamps with stainless screws. Check the
screw with a magnet...if it is attracted to the screw it isn't stainless.

Zeuspaul

Old 08-04-2003, 03:44 AM
GD

Default Question

Um. Snakes are carnivorous. I'd sure like to know which species
might feed on figs.

Um. Also. Most snakes have relatively poor vision, and key on
movement rather than shape. Maybe fig-eating snakes are different.

If you buy a fake owl, keep your expectations for snake control very
low.

Sorry.

"MLF" wrote:

"Russ and Cathy" wrote:
Would putting a fake owl on or near my pond keep away snakes?

Actually, fake owls do work, but you have to keep moving it around
every day. My parents have a fig tree and the snakes love them. The
"owl" keeps them away, but you have to be conscientious about moving
it.

Here in Louisiana we have everything from nutria to snakes to
cockroaches to alligators. We take a more relaxed view of wildlife
and try to get along (up to a point).

BTW: Depending on where you live, the snakes you see are probably
harmless and help keep the various vermin and bugs under control.
You may be trading one harmless (but scary) problem for a much more
unpleasant rodent one (EEK!).

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)
================================================= ============

Old 08-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Robin,

I have used standard hose clamps for years and
have never had a problem.

Tom L.L.
---------------------------------------
"Robin" wrote in
message news:Klqja.330722$3D1.178309@sccrnsc01...

Old 11-04-2003, 04:56 AM
mad

the way i understand it is that copper is deadly to koi and goldfish.
mad
--
Insanity is my only means of relaxation.

From: "MLF"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 17:59:14 -0500
Subject: metals in water question

Robin wrote:
I've heard stories about fish being poisoned by

different metal objects in
the pond. Does anyone know if stainless steel is

fish-friendly? This is a
small water garden of only 650 gallons.

Steel, stainless steel, and most other metals you're likely to run
into are fine with fish. I would be reluctant to use copper as well,
only because it is more reactive than steel and it anodizes quickly
with steel (of any sort); use plastic instead. Most other
problematic metals are out of common usage today - lead, for
instance.

Aerospace Metals Supplier aathi Lawns 0 30-06-2008 12:40 PM
heavy metals? yelohk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 17-08-2003 04:17 AM
heavy metals? yelohk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 15-08-2003 11:14 PM
"Heavy metals" Mike Yared Plant Biology 0 02-05-2003 03:20 AM