Old 01-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Janet Conroy Janet Conroy is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Poole View Post
Anthuriums do better when kept somewhat pot-bound and it's not at all
unusual for them to have roots growing out of the compost since they
are epiphytic and naturally had roots exposed to light and air. They
need warmth, reasonably good light and high humidity to do well and
can therefore be slightly tricky as house-plants. Even a brief
exposure to cold or chilly conditions will result in damage as
described. The 'crispiness' results from all or part the leaf dying
and then drying out. It can also be caused by a hot dry atmosphere
such as being placed too close to a radiator, fire or on top of a TV
(the old, convention tube type).
Dave: I can do warmth and light, but I'm struggling to think of anywhere in the house where we can create high humidity. Would a tray of pebbles filled with water help??