Old 31-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Registered User

Default Arthurium problems

I was given this houseplant 3 weeks ago. When I unwrapped it it was totally pot-bound, with roots coming out of the compost and it looked very unhappy. I took it back to the shop and was told that they only flower when potbound and was advised to keep it somewhere warm and light. Many of the leaves have since turned brown and crispy and most of the flowers have gone from red to purple and are dying fast. There is no sign of any infestation. Any comments/advice?
Old 31-12-2008, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Janet Conroy

I wonder if it got chilled in transit? ... although I wouldn't have thought
that would cause crispiness. Sounds very sad.

Spider

Old 01-01-2009, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Anthuriums do better when kept somewhat pot-bound and it's not at all
unusual for them to have roots growing out of the compost since they
are epiphytic and naturally had roots exposed to light and air. They
need warmth, reasonably good light and high humidity to do well and
can therefore be slightly tricky as house-plants. Even a brief
exposure to cold or chilly conditions will result in damage as
described. The 'crispiness' results from all or part the leaf dying
and then drying out. It can also be caused by a hot dry atmosphere
such as being placed too close to a radiator, fire or on top of a TV
(the old, convention tube type).

Old 01-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Poole View Post
Anthuriums do better when kept somewhat pot-bound and it's not at all
unusual for them to have roots growing out of the compost since they
are epiphytic and naturally had roots exposed to light and air. They
need warmth, reasonably good light and high humidity to do well and
can therefore be slightly tricky as house-plants. Even a brief
exposure to cold or chilly conditions will result in damage as
described. The 'crispiness' results from all or part the leaf dying
and then drying out. It can also be caused by a hot dry atmosphere
such as being placed too close to a radiator, fire or on top of a TV
(the old, convention tube type).
Dave: I can do warmth and light, but I'm struggling to think of anywhere in the house where we can create high humidity. Would a tray of pebbles filled with water help??
Old 02-01-2009, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Janet Conroy wrote:

Dave: I can do warmth and light, but I'm struggling to think of
anywhere in the house where we can create high humidity. *Would a tray
of pebbles filled with water help??

Yes it would make all of the difference. Just make sure that the base
of the pot doesn't sit in water - the roots need just as much air as
moisture and react badly to a sodden compost. Very lightly misting
the foliage daily will also help.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Registered User

Janet Conroy wrote:

Dave: I can do warmth and light, but I'm struggling to think of
anywhere in the house where we can create high humidity. *Would a tray
of pebbles filled with water help??

Yes it would make all of the difference. Just make sure that the base
of the pot doesn't sit in water - the roots need just as much air as
moisture and react badly to a sodden compost. Very lightly misting
the foliage daily will also help.
Right, I'll give it a go and see what happens.