Old 05-01-2009, 11:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
jzfredricks jzfredricks is offline

Default Garden bed upon bitumen/tar

Hi all, just hoping for some advice on a little gardening problem I
(might) have!

We've got a section of our garden/yard that is covered with a flat
layer of bitumen. It's wasted space, and we'd like to turn it into a
vege garden. I'd thought about breaking it up and removing it, but it
could be too big a job (I've no idea how thick the layer is).

So I was wondering if there would be any problems with making some
raised garden beds right on top of the bitumen?

I've no idea what effect it would have on things like;

drainage
long-term quality of soil
chemicals in the bitumen getting into my veges

thanks in advance

jack