Old 05-01-2009, 11:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Garden bed upon bitumen/tar

Hi all, just hoping for some advice on a little gardening problem I
(might) have!

We've got a section of our garden/yard that is covered with a flat
layer of bitumen. It's wasted space, and we'd like to turn it into a
vege garden. I'd thought about breaking it up and removing it, but it
could be too big a job (I've no idea how thick the layer is).

So I was wondering if there would be any problems with making some
raised garden beds right on top of the bitumen?

I've no idea what effect it would have on things like;

drainage
long-term quality of soil
chemicals in the bitumen getting into my veges

thanks in advance

jack
Old 05-01-2009, 12:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message
,
jzfredricks writes
Hi all, just hoping for some advice on a little gardening problem I
(might) have!

We've got a section of our garden/yard that is covered with a flat
layer of bitumen. It's wasted space, and we'd like to turn it into a
vege garden. I'd thought about breaking it up and removing it, but it
could be too big a job (I've no idea how thick the layer is).

So I was wondering if there would be any problems with making some
raised garden beds right on top of the bitumen?

I've no idea what effect it would have on things like;

drainage
long-term quality of soil
chemicals in the bitumen getting into my veges

thanks in advance
jack

I had a similar situation some years ago when I acquired a small piece
of land adjacent to our house in S. London. It was concreted over. I
used some old timber to build a raised bed box for veg growing and lined
it with heavy duty plastic through which I punctured a few holes to
allow any excess lying water to drain out. It's just the same as if it
rained on the concrete so no problem.... it found its normal way out.
The quality of the soil always gradually deteriorates - even in a normal
garden. Hence the need to ensure regular replenishing of the soil's
vital ingredients with compost and occasional dustings of selected
fertilisers.

The right soil is important to the quality and quantity of
vegetables.... and what you choose to grow. So get good topsoil and mix
in well rotted manure/compost. Root veg (carrots, parsnips etc.) prefer
a sandier loam soil through which they can grow without distortion. They
don't like direct contact with manure. Others are much more tolerant.
Brassicas enjoy a light dusting of lime, etc. etc.

You may find the following link helpful:
http://www.growveg.com/growguides/soil-types.aspx

Also, I suggest you ensure that you rotate the crops annually. This will
help:
http://www.vegetableexpert.co.uk/Veg...pRotation.html

Good luck ..... done properly you will have a great source of daily
fresh vegetables and you won't regret it.

PS: Try to prevent the tar seeping up through the holes into the box by
covering the bitumen with a piece of old carpet or more of the plastic.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 05-01-2009, 06:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day jack,

might be best to at least get someone around who has the machinery
(bobcat whatever) that could rip up the bitumen, and get a quote fro
removal then you can decide if the job might be too expensive or not.
ultimately it would be better to get rid of it.

but if it is too expensive a job to do then raised beds will work just
need to be sure that the ebds can drain a little, nothing flash might
mean make sure the bed edges don't form a good seal to the tar.

if you go this way the beds would be better at least 20"s deep, a bare
minimum of 12"s, you could make surrounds out of corrugated roofing
ther would be lots of other alternatives. suppose with the tar in
place you wouldn't be needing to worry about weed barriers or path
material.

see our pic's for ideas, on our site.

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 03:33:47 -0800 (PST), jzfredricks
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev