Old 09-01-2009, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson Jim Jackson is offline

Default Apple tree cuttings

Charlie Pridham wrote:
says...
Have any members of the goup had any sucess taking cuttings from old trees
we have a mature baker (probably Bramley but very heavy cropper) I would
like to propagate. I'd rather it grew on its own rootstock than graft. I'm
looking to take softwood spurs around May.

Try some hard wood cuttings now, normal method. should get 100% take but
do leave them at least a year before moving them

I've had almost 100% negative results from apple cuttings.
I understand that a few varieties strike easily, whilst most do not.
Soil type might be crucial too.