Old 10-01-2009, 06:16 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default GM Midified tomatoes

In article ,
"Jonno" wrote:

This Info found on the web and modified.

Please pass on details of the originating website(s).

I think you may be confusing Plant Variety Protection (Plant Breeder's Right
in Australia) with GMOs. The two things are not the same; you register
cultivars under PBR, and there is an International Convention for the
Protection of New Varieties of Plants to go with it (see
http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/pbr/faq.shtml). Genetically Modified Organisms
are covered by patents, like other inventions. Both PBR and patent law are
administered by the same body in Australia: IPA (see website above).

I know of one problem created by PBR in Australia, and that is that a
naturally-occurring form of a species may be registered as a cultivar. This
is a particular problem for growers of Australian natives, especially people
who collect wild seeds and might inadvertently infringe somebody's PBR. Some
Australian plants (I was reading about callistemons today) vary greatly when
grown from seed, so while a nurseryman thinks he has a cultivar, Aunt Ethel
down the road just has a different form. I suppose that's a roundabout way of
saying that we still don't know a great deal about our flora.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/