Old 10-01-2009, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John T[_2_] John T[_2_] is offline

Default Onions

"p. pleater" wrote in message
I'm about to order onion sets and got to thinking about which has the best
keeping qualities.
I'm not looking for giant show size specimens, just reliable bog standard
cookers, but, all things being equal long storage life is of prime
importance to us.

Your thoughts and recommendations would be very much appreciated.

pp.

We have always found Stuttgarter onion sets reliable and a good cropper.
They are good cookers and seem to keep well. I would experiment unless you
know your soil and climate, because what works here (Wallasey, north end of
the Wirral) might not work for everyone.

Also, our onions follow potatoes in a rotation, so the ground is composted a
full year before the onions go in, depending on whether i get to dig the
spud bed before the winter or not.

Good luck anyway

John