Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Onions

I'm about to order onion sets and got to thinking about which has the
best keeping qualities.
I'm not looking for giant show size specimens, just reliable bog
standard cookers, but, all things being equal long storage life is of
prime importance to us.

Your thoughts and recommendations would be very much appreciated.

pp.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p. pleater" wrote ...
I'm about to order onion sets and got to thinking about which has the best
keeping qualities.
I'm not looking for giant show size specimens, just reliable bog standard
cookers, but, all things being equal long storage life is of prime
importance to us.

Your thoughts and recommendations would be very much appreciated.

We have found the French type called Jermor quite good in that respect and
it's also superb in the kitchen.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 09-01-2009, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote ...

"p. pleater" wrote ...
I'm about to order onion sets and got to thinking about which has the
best keeping qualities.
I'm not looking for giant show size specimens, just reliable bog standard
cookers, but, all things being equal long storage life is of prime
importance to us.

Your thoughts and recommendations would be very much appreciated.

We have found the French type called Jermor quite good in that respect and
it's also superb in the kitchen.

What am I thinking about, that's a shallot not an onion. Too much Scotch
obviously!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-01-2009, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p. pleater" wrote in message
I'm about to order onion sets and got to thinking about which has the best
keeping qualities.
I'm not looking for giant show size specimens, just reliable bog standard
cookers, but, all things being equal long storage life is of prime
importance to us.

Your thoughts and recommendations would be very much appreciated.

pp.

We have always found Stuttgarter onion sets reliable and a good cropper.
They are good cookers and seem to keep well. I would experiment unless you
know your soil and climate, because what works here (Wallasey, north end of
the Wirral) might not work for everyone.

Also, our onions follow potatoes in a rotation, so the ground is composted a
full year before the onions go in, depending on whether i get to dig the
spud bed before the winter or not.

Good luck anyway

John

Old 11-01-2009, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Stuttgarter

Good here too (onions are about the only veg we grow!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk