Old 13-01-2009, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Onion planting times

Red Tomatoe wrote:
On Jan 12, 2:11 pm, Pam Moore wrote:
There are varying bits of advice on when onions should be planted, and
I just plant when the opportunity arrises!
"Plant on the shortest day, harvest on the longest day".
I always thought that applied to shallots. I heard it years ago from
Arthur Billett. Is that right? Can onions be planted at the same
time as shallots?
It can't apply to garlic, which is best planted in October.

Pam in Bristol

I have for ther first time planted the autumn,. over winter onions,
they aleady have green shoots would that be right||?

Red Tomatoe

We eat lot of onions, so I plant them both late Autumn and late winter.
This paid off in spades last year when my autumn planted onions rotted
with all the rain, whereas the Winter planted were fine. My Autumn
planted onions and garlic are well sprouted now.