Old 12-01-2009, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Onion planting times

There are varying bits of advice on when onions should be planted, and
I just plant when the opportunity arrises!
"Plant on the shortest day, harvest on the longest day".
I always thought that applied to shallots. I heard it years ago from
Arthur Billett. Is that right? Can onions be planted at the same
time as shallots?
It can't apply to garlic, which is best planted in October.

Pam in Bristol
Old 12-01-2009, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In ,
Pam Moore manipulated the keyboard to produce
this pearl of wisdom
There are varying bits of advice on when onions should be planted, and
I just plant when the opportunity arrises!
"Plant on the shortest day, harvest on the longest day".
I always thought that applied to shallots.

Plant both onions and shallots at the same time and it always seems to work,
I have heard though that some people advocate not planting onions untill the
ground is warmer, "warm enough to sit on with a naked bum" one saying has it
but then you may never plant them.

--
Chris
West Cork, Ireland

Old 12-01-2009, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cerumen" wrote in message
In ,
Pam Moore manipulated the keyboard to produce
this pearl of wisdom
There are varying bits of advice on when onions should be planted, and
I just plant when the opportunity arrises!
"Plant on the shortest day, harvest on the longest day".
I always thought that applied to shallots.

Plant both onions and shallots at the same time and it always seems to
work, I have heard though that some people advocate not planting onions
untill the ground is warmer, "warm enough to sit on with a naked bum" one
saying has it but then you may never plant them.

I usually plant some shallots a lot earlier, even in the autumn sometimes. I
plant the onions in March/April depending on the weather. The autumn onions
in the autumn of course!

www.rraa.moonfruit.com
feed the soil save the planet

Old 12-01-2009, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 12, 2:11*pm, Pam Moore wrote:
There are varying bits of advice on when onions should be planted, and
I just plant when the opportunity arrises!
"Plant on the shortest day, harvest on the longest day".
I always thought that applied to shallots. *I heard it years ago from
Arthur Billett. *Is that right? *Can onions be planted at the same
time as shallots?
It can't apply to garlic, which is best planted in October.

Pam in Bristol

I have for ther first time planted the autumn,. over winter onions,
they aleady have green shoots would that be right||?

Red Tomatoe
Old 13-01-2009, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Red Tomatoe wrote:
On Jan 12, 2:11 pm, Pam Moore wrote:
There are varying bits of advice on when onions should be planted, and
I just plant when the opportunity arrises!
"Plant on the shortest day, harvest on the longest day".
I always thought that applied to shallots. I heard it years ago from
Arthur Billett. Is that right? Can onions be planted at the same
time as shallots?
It can't apply to garlic, which is best planted in October.

Pam in Bristol

I have for ther first time planted the autumn,. over winter onions,
they aleady have green shoots would that be right||?

Red Tomatoe

We eat lot of onions, so I plant them both late Autumn and late winter.
This paid off in spades last year when my autumn planted onions rotted
with all the rain, whereas the Winter planted were fine. My Autumn
planted onions and garlic are well sprouted now.