Old 14-01-2009, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Repotting Umbrella plant

"danny22" wrote in message

Hi everyone,

My mother has had an umbrella plant for ages, not very well looked
after unfortunately.

It is severely root bound - practically no soil in the pot, only roots.
I just tried to water it, and the water didn't drain off the top for
about 60 seconds, just pooled on top of the exposed roots.

It is, however, growing new growth

I was wondering if, when repotting into a larger pot, I should break
down the rootball a bit to loosen them up? Or just pop it straight into
new soil as it is?

Any idea how to take a cutting from this? I would kind of like one of
my own

Thank you in advance!

If you can separate the roots a bit without damging them too much, then yes.
Get as much compost as you can between the roots, and plenty round the
outside for it to grow into and she'll be fine.

As for cuttings, some of the umbrella type leaves can be rooted in a dish of
water. Separate leaf from plant, turn upside down in a shallow dish and
change the water daily. after 2-3 weeks you should see tiny whit rootlets
coming from the centre of the rosette, then it can be potted.

Steve