Old 14-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Registered User

Default Repotting Umbrella plant

Hi everyone,

My mother has had an umbrella plant for ages, not very well looked after unfortunately.

It is severely root bound - practically no soil in the pot, only roots. I just tried to water it, and the water didn't drain off the top for about 60 seconds, just pooled on top of the exposed roots.

It is, however, growing new growth

I was wondering if, when repotting into a larger pot, I should break down the rootball a bit to loosen them up? Or just pop it straight into new soil as it is?

Any idea how to take a cutting from this? I would kind of like one of my own

Thank you in advance!
Old 14-01-2009, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"danny22" wrote in message

Hi everyone,

My mother has had an umbrella plant for ages, not very well looked
after unfortunately.

It is severely root bound - practically no soil in the pot, only roots.
I just tried to water it, and the water didn't drain off the top for
about 60 seconds, just pooled on top of the exposed roots.

It is, however, growing new growth

I was wondering if, when repotting into a larger pot, I should break
down the rootball a bit to loosen them up? Or just pop it straight into
new soil as it is?

Any idea how to take a cutting from this? I would kind of like one of
my own

Thank you in advance!

If you can separate the roots a bit without damging them too much, then yes.
Get as much compost as you can between the roots, and plenty round the
outside for it to grow into and she'll be fine.

As for cuttings, some of the umbrella type leaves can be rooted in a dish of
water. Separate leaf from plant, turn upside down in a shallow dish and
change the water daily. after 2-3 weeks you should see tiny whit rootlets
coming from the centre of the rosette, then it can be potted.

Steve

Old 14-01-2009, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"danny22" wrote in message

Hi everyone,

My mother has had an umbrella plant for ages, not very well looked
after unfortunately.

It is severely root bound - practically no soil in the pot, only roots.
I just tried to water it, and the water didn't drain off the top for
about 60 seconds, just pooled on top of the exposed roots.

It is, however, growing new growth

I was wondering if, when repotting into a larger pot, I should break
down the rootball a bit to loosen them up? Or just pop it straight into
new soil as it is?

Any idea how to take a cutting from this? I would kind of like one of
my own

Thank you in advance!

Which umbrella plant? I'm guessing Schefflera

Kase

Old 15-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Registered User

Sorry can I just confirm something....I turn the cutting upside down? As in I put the leaves in the water, not the end of the stem?

Old 16-01-2009, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jane" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 18:10:57 +0000, danny22
wrote:

~
~Sorry can I just confirm something....I turn the cutting upside down? As
~in I put the leaves in the water, not the end of the stem?

Isn't this the way of getting cuttings to root from the
water-loving umbrella tree cyperus alternifolius?

I doubt it'd work for a schefflera. Need to know which plant
you've got!

You're probably right at that. Well, I did say "some of the umbrella type
leaves" That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.