Old 17-01-2009, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default stored apples and a mystery

brian mitchell writes
Just went to the apple store to get some Bramley's for a crumble and
found they'd all softened/rotted. This is unusual because in previous
years I've been able to find one or two good ones up till March. I
particularly thought with the recent cold weather that they'd last
better --or could they actually have frozen and softened for that
reason? Although, I have other varieties which are still ok [1].

Is anyone else storing apples and have they lasted as normal?

Allingtons Pippins are supposed to be good till Dec but are still going
strong (which is fortunate since I had over 100lbs). One or two are
beginning to rot from inside, but I reckon I'll get another 3-4 weeks.

Brownlees Russet and Cornish Aromatic are keeping very well, but they
are supposed to keep till March.

I think mine are keeping well this year because the wet summer meant
they were late to develop and the mild autumn meant I picked them late,
In the apple tree mind it's probably still mid December ;-)
--
Kay