Old 18-01-2009, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Orange Tomatoes

Nartker wrote:
For several years Seed Savers sold a medium sized, orange cluster tomato
seed. I think it was called the Flamme Jume (sic)or something like that.
It was apparently bred for sun drying. I found them to be great for
salads.

It is no longer listed in their catalog. My crop failed last year and I
have no seed.

Can some one recommend a source?

Now sure if this helps or not: I few years ago, in mid-winter, I was
perusing the sad excuses they had for tomatoes at the grocery store.
But the orange "cluster" tomatoes actually smelled like tomatoes! (the
red and the yellow ones just like them had no smell at all, just like
the Romas and the big slicers.) I bought a few of the orange tomatoes,
and they were actually good. I saved the seeds and planted them in the
spring and they grew pretty well. Not sure if they came true to the
variety but they were close. My wife wouldn't eat them because they
were the wrong color so I didn't grow them again or save any seeds.

So you might try buying one at the grocery store and harvesting the
seeds. Squeeze the seeds out with some of their jelly, stir in a little
water, then let them rot for a few days. Skim, strain, rinse, and dry.

If you want a tomato that is perfect for drying, look for a variety
called Principe Borghese (sp?)

Bob