Old 18-01-2009, 10:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Basil in the winter

On Jan 18, 1:40*pm, Dan Musicant ) wrote:
June to December I have all the basil I could want, planted in pots in
the back yard. When that dies from the cold, I buy bunches for a buck or
$1.20 for organic and wash and trim the stems a 1/2 inch and put in a
glass with water. If reasonably fresh when bought the basil keeps in the
kitchen for weeks, maybe over a month if I don't use a whole lot of it.
However, the basil starts to look not so hardy after a couple of weeks.
The leaves shrink. Is there something I can do to keep it happier? Maybe
add something to the water? Obviously, I don't want anything drawn up
into the leaves that I don't want to ingest.

You might try a couple of things: a pinch or two of sugar in the
water; letting it sit out on the counter or window sill on a sunny
afternoon. Can't guarantee that either would work but that's what
comes to mind..... -aem