Old 19-01-2009, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
[email protected] man@privacy.net is offline

Default Basil in the winter

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 19:08:14 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:

:In article
,
: aem wrote:
:
: You might try a couple of things: a pinch or two of sugar in the
: water; letting it sit out on the counter or window sill on a sunny
: afternoon. Can't guarantee that either would work but that's what
: comes to mind..... -aem
:
:Why? Color me Curious.
:-Barb

The things I have been doing, or have done occasionally:

Putting the bunch in the sun when it's not so warm as to stress the
stems.

I generally put the glass containing the water and stems at the bottom
of a stainless steel bowl and put water in the bowl. The evaporating
water in the bowl keeps the air surrounding the leaves at a higher
humidity than the room at large and helps prevent the leaves from drying
excessively.

Occasionally, I spray the leaves with a fine mist of water.

I HAVE on occasion retrimmed the stems. On recommendation in this thread
I'll do that more frequently.

Dan