Old 19-01-2009, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default I've got an allotment!

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 15:54:44 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote...
OMG! I've got an allotment.
I signed for it yesterday and we went over today and started emptying
the massively full and broken compost heap. (It's leaning over the
path so it's got to be sorted out)

I've got two big trees, a plum and an apple we're guessing by what's
rotting underneath it. And a little cherry and something else but
can't remember - they're about 18 months old.
A vine in the greenhouse
Two rows of raspberries
Some rhubarb! Hurray!
Some other berry thing that is as yet unknown.
Some strawberries
Jerusalem Artichokes

There's what looks and smells like celery in one bed but it's rotting
so I assume that's got to come out.

I assume I know which raspberry canes need pruning out by seeing if
they've got fruit on (It's been neglected since before everything
fruited in the summer...)
and grave vine - not got a clue what to do with that other than clip
off the dead fruit...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...8&id=669545258

Do check the type of soil you have, if I tried to get on my allotment to do
stuff it would damage the soil so much it would be unworkable for the next
12 months. I have to be very careful when I work it, it has to be drying out
well before I try. The adjacent allotment holders, if they are experienced
plot holders, should be able to tell you, that's if you see them this time
of year.

There was digging going on Sunday - and it only rained as we were
packing up... and the snow that followed!
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk