Old 20-01-2009, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Winter shrubs

In message , Paul Luton
writes
Sacha wrote:
On 19/1/09 18:10, in article
, "Jim Scott"
wrote:

I have a £15 token to spend.
My small front garden faces NE so only gets sun early in the day.
Fuchsias do OK, hydrangia, campanula, euonimus, pieris and of course privet
too. A Japenese maple was killed by the cold wind.
I would like to introduce a couple of shrubs to flower over the winter. I
see Hebes as I move around the area, but don't know the variety.
I probably don't want anything over 100cm/3 feet tall.
Ideas please.
Note the area below.

The Sarcococcas would be good, I think and they're very highly
scented.
They probably go to somewhere between 3' and 4' but you can keep many things
where you want them! Daphone odora Aureomarginata is another wonderfully
scented winter flowering plant and it's not a big thug of a thing, either.

Another vote for Daphne odora Aureomarginata. Plant Cyclamen
Hedrapholia and C. Coum underneath.

For winter flowering and scent there's Daphne bholua, especially
'Jacqueline Postill'.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley