Old 20-01-2009, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default stored apples and a mystery

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 21:33:30 GMT, brian mitchell
wrote:

Just went to the apple store to get some Bramley's for a crumble and
found they'd all softened/rotted. This is unusual because in previous
years I've been able to find one or two good ones up till March. I
particularly thought with the recent cold weather that they'd last

Have they got colder and warmer? That can't do them any good.

better --or could they actually have frozen and softened for that
reason? Although, I have other varieties which are still ok [1].

Is anyone else storing apples and have they lasted as normal?

[1] The thick skinned russets are ok, plus this other variety...

When I planted these trees I bought two unlabelled mysteries at a
knockdown price. One I've identified but the other is still a mystery.
It's a very prolific tree, shade tolerant, a late variety, its apples
have a yellowish flesh and a mild custard flavour, very juicy. Best of
all is that the apples store brilliantly; I have had them keep until
May. Can anyone identify the variety from this description? It's going
to be one of the common popular ones, the nursery I got them from is
only a re-seller and only stocks common varieties. The other mystery
turned out to be a Cox's. I'd like to know because I'd like to plant
another.

brian mitchell

--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk