Old 20-01-2009, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Winter shrubs

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 18:10:28 GMT, Jim Scott
wrote:

I have a £15 token to spend.
My small front garden faces NE so only gets sun early in the day.
Fuchsias do OK, hydrangia, campanula, euonimus, pieris and of course privet
too. A Japenese maple was killed by the cold wind.
I would like to introduce a couple of shrubs to flower over the winter. I
see Hebes as I move around the area, but don't know the variety.
I probably don't want anything over 100cm/3 feet tall.
Ideas please.
Note the area below.

Get a sarcococca. Mine is flowering at the moment, but you don't
really see the flowers; you smell them. They like the shady garden,
are evergreen, make a clump no more than a yard high, which slowly
enlarges outwards. The scent jumps out at me when I walk past it.
You can't beat it at this point of the year.

Pam in Bristol