Old 20-01-2009, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Winter shrubs

On 20/1/09 15:57, in article
, "Judith in
France" wrote:

On Jan 19, 6:53*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 19/1/09 18:10, in article
, "Jim Scott"

wrote:
I have a £15 token to spend.
My small front garden faces NE so only gets sun early in the day.
Fuchsias do OK, hydrangia, campanula, euonimus, pieris and of course privet
too. A Japenese maple was killed by the cold wind.
I would like to introduce a couple of shrubs to flower over the winter. I
see Hebes as I move around the area, but don't know the variety.
I probably don't want anything over 100cm/3 feet tall.
Ideas please.
Note the area below.

The Sarcococcas would be good, I think and they're very highly scented.
They probably go to somewhere between 3' and 4' but you can keep many things
where you want them! *Daphone odora Aureomarginata is another wonderfully
scented winter flowering plant and it's not a big thug of a thing, either.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Sacha would he be able to buy a Daphne for under £15? I can remember
buying a small one years ago in England and it cost about that then?

Judith

I should think so but it will depend on size. But personally, I'd go for a
Sarococca confusa or a Sarcococca hookerianum. The former is probably
easier to find but the latter is just a tiny bit more interesting because of
its stems being reddish. Otherwise, there's nothing in it for scent, IMO.
There's also Lonicera purpusii but IMO the Sarcococcas beat them hands down
for scent.