Old 21-01-2009, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Winter shrubs

The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:
In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains
these words:

No idea which variety - I have one and use the 'grapes' for jelly - if I
remember to birdproof them in time.

You probably do mean Mahonia aquifolium then. I think of it as a
spring-flowering shrub, rather than a winter-flowering shrub. Mahonia x
intermedia flowers considerably earlier. (On the other hand, it's rather
on the big side, given the OP's criteria.)

My one is reaching for the light, and is about four feet high - but well
over six feet long...

Mahonia x intermedia can get to 8 or 10 feet tall - but, yes, Mahonia
aquifolium does have a tendency to spread.

All from the single root - but it's in a very shady spot. (Not the
Houses of Parliament...)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig