Old 24-01-2009, 06:31 PM
toptaff toptaff is offline
Registered User

Location: West Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitulove View Post
Hello,

I'm having trouble finding an answer to my question on google..I should point out that I'm a fairly inexperienced gardener.

In the fall I planted many bulbs, and thought I had done everything as I should have. However, when I was having a look around the garden a couple days ago, I noticed that many of them already have a couple inches of green poking up out of the ground. This includes daffodils, which I would have thought would have come up much later. I come from a part of the world where even crocuses wait until late February to make an appearance. Are my bulbs coming up too early? Should I have buried them deeper? Are they doomed?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lanna

I think they'll be okay. I think this is a 'wait and see' scenario.
It's more temperate here in Wales, but I've loads of bulbs sticking their noses up despite the recent cold snap, a lot of which were planted in about October,plus the birds have been scritching about in the soil (damn blackbirds!!!) exposing them more in one place in the garden. I'll probably look for a bit of compost and scatter a bit over them if I remember but if not,I'm confident they'll be okay.

Hope all goes well for yours!