Old 24-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Mitulove's Avatar
Registered User

Question My bulbs are coming up in Fife..help?

Hello,

I'm having trouble finding an answer to my question on google..I should point out that I'm a fairly inexperienced gardener.

In the fall I planted many bulbs, and thought I had done everything as I should have. However, when I was having a look around the garden a couple days ago, I noticed that many of them already have a couple inches of green poking up out of the ground. This includes daffodils, which I would have thought would have come up much later. I come from a part of the world where even crocuses wait until late February to make an appearance. Are my bulbs coming up too early? Should I have buried them deeper? Are they doomed?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lanna
Old 24-01-2009, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My bulbs are coming up in Fife..help?

"Mitulove" wrote
I'm having trouble finding an answer to my question on google..I should
point out that I'm a fairly inexperienced gardener.

In the fall I planted many bulbs, and thought I had done everything as
I should have. However, when I was having a look around the garden a
couple days ago, I noticed that many of them already have a couple
inches of green poking up out of the ground. This includes daffodils,
which I would have thought would have come up much later. I come from
a part of the world where even crocuses wait until late February to
make an appearance. Are my bulbs coming up too early? Should I have
buried them deeper? Are they doomed?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

It's normal for bulbs, including Daffs, in the UK to show by now. Indeed
mine are a few inches tall.
Of course, if you aren't in the UK I can't say if that will be a problem for
your bulbs.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-01-2009, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Mitulove contains these words:

Hello,

I'm having trouble finding an answer to my question on google..I should
point out that I'm a fairly inexperienced gardener.

In the fall

What is this concept 'fall'?

I planted many bulbs, and thought I had done everything as
I should have. However, when I was having a look around the garden a
couple days ago, I noticed that many of them already have a couple
inches of green poking up out of the ground.

Yes, about right.

This includes daffodils,

Mine, too. I have anemones in flower, winter aconites and snowdrops
flowering too.

which I would have thought would have come up much later. I come from
a part of the world where even crocuses wait until late February to
make an appearance.

Well, I'd have said *THAT* was about right for a crocus, too. While I'm
a fair bit nearer the equator than you are in the Kingdom of Fife, East
Anglia is often just as cold.

Are my bulbs coming up too early?

No.

Should I have
buried them deeper?

That I can't answer. 2" - 3" deep would sound about right to me. Now if
you had bluebells (wild hyacinth, not the Scottish bluebell, which we
call harebells...) about to flower, I'd be moving up to Fife!

Are they doomed?

Eventually, but not in the short term.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

FWIW...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 24-01-2009, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 Jan, 15:22, Mitulove
wrote:
Hello,
I'm having trouble finding an answer to my question on google..I should
point out that I'm a fairly inexperienced gardener.
In the fall I planted many bulbs, and thought I had done everything as
I should have. *However, when I was having a look around the garden a
couple days ago, I noticed that many of them already have a couple
inches of green poking up out of the ground. *This includes daffodils,
which I would have thought would have come up much later. *I come from
a part of the world where even crocuses wait until late February to
make an appearance. *Are my bulbs coming up too early? *Should I have
buried them deeper? *Are they doomed?

Hiya Lanna, I'm in Manchester and we've got daffs, muscari, tulips,
hyacinths and even bluebells pointing their heads, ribes are budding
too. I don't think your bulbs are doomed - perhaps it is a sheltered
place where you've planted your bulbs, or you got a row of sunny days.
It's the warmth that wakes them. They'll go with the weather. I
wouldn't worry. I always have an early patch in my garden because
there's lots of fallen leaves that I leave there. Mulch keep them
warm.

You'll see if you got it wrong when spring has finally sprung. If you
get lots of leaves and no flowers or few, you'll know you got it wrong
with the depth. You can always start again with the same bulbs next
year. That's how you get experience )
Old 24-01-2009, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 Jan, 15:22, Mitulove
wrote:
Are my bulbs coming up too early? *Should I have
buried them deeper? *Are they doomed?

Left to their own devices, plants generally do what they need to to
survive. OK, Palm trees in Iceland or sphagnum moss in the Sahara
might turn up their toes fairly sharpish. But in general they know
what they are doing.

About 3 years ago we had a cold wet miserable spring, and the bulbs
that had started to sprout just stood still till it warmed up, then
carried on to plan.

Expert gardeners can do things with shredded bark, mulches, even
fleece, to mitigate the worst of the climate and protect plants. But
none of these are likely to alter the day on which they begin to
sprout, just make sure they actually survive the winter.

Trust the bulbs. They know what they are about.

The telling thing will be whether they are more or less vigorous year
by year. That will tell you whether they are getting the right
nutrients, whether the soil is too wet for them, or whether they are
getting enough light at the right time of year. But that is a far
more subtle discussion.

Old 24-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Registered User

Location: West Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitulove View Post
Hello,

I'm having trouble finding an answer to my question on google..I should point out that I'm a fairly inexperienced gardener.

In the fall I planted many bulbs, and thought I had done everything as I should have. However, when I was having a look around the garden a couple days ago, I noticed that many of them already have a couple inches of green poking up out of the ground. This includes daffodils, which I would have thought would have come up much later. I come from a part of the world where even crocuses wait until late February to make an appearance. Are my bulbs coming up too early? Should I have buried them deeper? Are they doomed?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lanna

I think they'll be okay. I think this is a 'wait and see' scenario.
It's more temperate here in Wales, but I've loads of bulbs sticking their noses up despite the recent cold snap, a lot of which were planted in about October,plus the birds have been scritching about in the soil (damn blackbirds!!!) exposing them more in one place in the garden. I'll probably look for a bit of compost and scatter a bit over them if I remember but if not,I'm confident they'll be okay.

Hope all goes well for yours!
Old 24-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Mitulove's Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
What is this concept 'fall'?
Sorry, autumn. I can see how that might have sounded strange, and indeed I've probably given away my lexical heritage .

Thank you all for your reassurances!

Lanna
Old 25-01-2009, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Mitulove contains these words:

What is this concept 'fall'?

Sorry, autumn. I can see how that might have sounded strange, and
indeed I've probably given away my lexical heritage .

Thank you all for your reassurances!

'SOK - I was merely being facetious - I have fallen over the term 'fall'
before...

....several times. (FLVO several)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 25-01-2009, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mitulove" wrote

What is this concept 'fall'?

Sorry, autumn. I can see how that might have sounded strange, and
indeed I've probably given away my lexical heritage .

Thank you all for your reassurances!

Well I didn't really think you were in Fife, Western Australia. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-01-2009, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:22:41 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:
The message
from Mitulove contains these words:

What is this concept 'fall'?

Sorry, autumn. I can see how that might have sounded strange, and
indeed I've probably given away my lexical heritage .

Thank you all for your reassurances!

'SOK - I was merely being facetious - I have fallen over the term 'fall'
before...

...several times. (FLVO several)

If you had been really facetious you would have suggested putting on hobnail
boots and stamping on the bulbs to teach them a lesson.

Hoe, hoe, hoe!

Cutt'em off beneath ground level - not like the 7 vertically challenged
gentlemen, who use high hoes...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 25-01-2009, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 16:38:38 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:

Hoe, hoe, hoe!

Cutt'em off beneath ground level - not like the 7 vertically challenged
gentlemen, who use high hoes...

Snow white droops?

Winter agonies, daffy-down-deadlies, croakeds, narcolepsies, hyacides,
tiger low-lies

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 26-01-2009, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 Jan, 23:08, Mitulove
wrote:
I've probably given away my lexical heritage .

Revealed it, certainly. If you had given it away you would no longer
have it!
Old 26-01-2009, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25 Jan, 16:38, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

Hoe, hoe, hoe!

Cutt'em off beneath ground level - not like the 7 vertically challenged
gentlemen, who use high hoes...

Gentlemen? I rather thought they were miners?
Old 26-01-2009, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from bobharvey contains these words:
On 25 Jan, 16:38, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

Hoe, hoe, hoe!

Cutt'em off beneath ground level - not like the 7 vertically challenged
gentlemen, who use high hoes...

Gentlemen? I rather thought they were miners?

What are you saying, bonny lad?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 31-01-2009, 12:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Zhang
Dawei writes
I don't think you have a problem so long as you live in Fife. If,
however, you don't live in Fife but your bulbs are coming up in Fife,
then you do have a problem.

Dawei

Very shrewd and inscrutable observation :-))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Queer Barney Frank {or is it Barney Fife?} Wants to legalizeonline gambling and marijuana Kate_G Gardening 54 14-05-2009 12:17 AM
OH NO... my bulbs are coming up!! Fred Gardening 7 17-01-2005 04:39 AM
The Locusts Are Coming; The Loco Locusts Are Coming BroJack Gardening 7 18-05-2004 03:10 PM
Birds coming through animaux Gardening 2 07-02-2003 04:47 PM
OT - Mosquitos Are Coming! TOM KAN PA Gardening 0 01-02-2003 01:43 AM