Old 26-01-2009, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Lime-garden,ground or hydrated?

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"michael" wrote
I am aware that one should not put lime onto a plot at the same time
as manure,but what is a reasonable interval-3 weeks,3 months?
Also,what is the most cost effective type of lime to use.I am aware
that hydrated lime is expensive,and lowers the pH more,but is it worth
twice the price? At our allotment trading hut,25 kg of hydrated lime
is £7.10,whereas garden lime or ground lime is £3.90.

I don't put lime on with the manure, I use the manured quarter (4 year
rotation) to grow spuds and the next season that quarter gets lime in
order to grow cabbages etc.

Oh, and lime raises the pH to make it more alkaline it does not lower it to
make it more acid.

With a pH of 7 (neutral) you should be able to grow anything except
acidophiles, spuds like it on the acid side which is why I don't lime for
them but brassicas like it alkaline so they get the lime (4 bags on a
quarter of the plot per annum). Our allotment soil is naturally about pH5.5
which is why we can grow blueberries on our plot.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden