Old 26-01-2009, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lime-garden,ground or hydrated?

I am aware that one should not put lime onto a plot at the same time
as manure,but what is a reasonable interval-3 weeks,3 months?
Also,what is the most cost effective type of lime to use.I am aware
that hydrated lime is expensive,and lowers the pH more,but is it worth
twice the price? At our allotment trading hut,25 kg of hydrated lime
is £7.10,whereas garden lime or ground lime is £3.90.
Cheers,Michael
Old 26-01-2009, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael" wrote
I am aware that one should not put lime onto a plot at the same time
as manure,but what is a reasonable interval-3 weeks,3 months?
Also,what is the most cost effective type of lime to use.I am aware
that hydrated lime is expensive,and lowers the pH more,but is it worth
twice the price? At our allotment trading hut,25 kg of hydrated lime
is £7.10,whereas garden lime or ground lime is £3.90.

I don't put lime on with the manure, I use the manured quarter (4 year
rotation) to grow spuds and the next season that quarter gets lime in order
to grow cabbages etc.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-01-2009, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 26, 12:12*pm, michael wrote:
I am aware that one should not put lime onto a plot at the same time
as manure,but what is a reasonable interval-3 weeks,3 months?
Also,what is the most cost effective type of lime to use.I am aware
that hydrated lime is expensive,and lowers the pH more,but is it worth
twice the price? At our allotment trading hut,25 kg of hydrated lime
is £7.10,whereas garden lime or ground lime is £3.90.
Cheers,Michael

Hi Michael,

Put very simply, ground limestone is used for "sweetening the soil"
and hydrated lime (hot lime) is used for sterilising the soil. Ground
limestone is always the cheaper product but not because it's inferior,
its just quarried differently.

http://horticulture.taylorschoice.co...tone_25kgs.php
Old 26-01-2009, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from michael contains these words:

I am aware that one should not put lime onto a plot at the same time
as manure,but what is a reasonable interval-3 weeks,3 months?
Also,what is the most cost effective type of lime to use.I am aware
that hydrated lime is expensive,and lowers the pH more,but is it worth
twice the price? At our allotment trading hut,25 kg of hydrated lime
is £7.10,whereas garden lime or ground lime is £3.90.
Cheers,Michael

Hydrated lime is calcium hydroxide, and is fairly caustic. Garden lime
is, I think, ground chalk, calcium carbonate, and is somewhere near
neutral, with a tendency towards alkalinity - in that the calcium/carbon
bond is weak, and stronger acids than carbonic (carbon dioxide dissolved
in water) will replace it.

Go with garden lime, the active constituent (calcium) is
weight-for-weight similar.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 26-01-2009, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"michael" wrote
I am aware that one should not put lime onto a plot at the same time
as manure,but what is a reasonable interval-3 weeks,3 months?
Also,what is the most cost effective type of lime to use.I am aware
that hydrated lime is expensive,and lowers the pH more,but is it worth
twice the price? At our allotment trading hut,25 kg of hydrated lime
is £7.10,whereas garden lime or ground lime is £3.90.

I don't put lime on with the manure, I use the manured quarter (4 year
rotation) to grow spuds and the next season that quarter gets lime in
order to grow cabbages etc.

Oh, and lime raises the pH to make it more alkaline it does not lower it to
make it more acid.

With a pH of 7 (neutral) you should be able to grow anything except
acidophiles, spuds like it on the acid side which is why I don't lime for
them but brassicas like it alkaline so they get the lime (4 bags on a
quarter of the plot per annum). Our allotment soil is naturally about pH5.5
which is why we can grow blueberries on our plot.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-01-2009, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
On Jan 26, 12:12 pm, michael wrote:
I am aware that one should not put lime onto a plot at the same time
as manure,but what is a reasonable interval-3 weeks,3 months?
Also,what is the most cost effective type of lime to use.I am aware
that hydrated lime is expensive,and lowers the pH more,but is it worth
twice the price? At our allotment trading hut,25 kg of hydrated lime
is £7.10,whereas garden lime or ground lime is £3.90.
Cheers,Michael

Hi Michael,

hydrated lime (hot lime) is used for sterilising the soil.

That's a new one on me

Old 26-01-2009, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
writes
On Jan 26, 12:12*pm, michael wrote:
I am aware that one should not put lime onto a plot at the same time
as manure,but what is a reasonable interval-3 weeks,3 months?
Also,what is the most cost effective type of lime to use.I am aware
that hydrated lime is expensive,and lowers the pH more,but is it worth
twice the price? At our allotment trading hut,25 kg of hydrated lime
is £7.10,whereas garden lime or ground lime is £3.90.
Cheers,Michael

Hi Michael,

Put very simply, ground limestone is used for "sweetening the soil"
and hydrated lime (hot lime) is used for sterilising the soil. Ground
limestone is always the cheaper product but not because it's inferior,
its just quarried differently.

I've never heard of hydrated lime being used to sterilise soil, nor of
it being called hot lime. I think you are mixing up your limes.

I have heard of hot lime (probably because it's not nice stuff to get on
your skin) being used to refer to Calcium Oxide or Quicklime, (which is
what was made in lime kilns by heating Chalk or limestone).
Incidentally, this was used to produce light for stage lighting, hence
the term 'limelight'. I imagine if you put this in soil it would have a
sterilising effect.

You can make hydrated lime or slaked lime by adding the quicklime to
water - which can get very hot in the process. This produces Calcium
hydroxide. This can be applied to soil, and will increase the PH, but
has a greater effect, and it's easier to over do it. It also can be sued
to improve the structure of clay soils as it flocculates the soil
particles (basically causing the clay particles to clump together)

Unless the PH is especially low (test the soil pH first, don't just
chuck it on regardless) then I'd probably go with the calcium carbonate.
There might not be any need at all though, we don't regularly lime
--
Chris French

Old 29-01-2009, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 27 Jan, 00:40, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from contains these words:

Put very simply, ground limestone is used for "sweetening the soil"
and hydrated lime (hot lime) is used for sterilising the soil. Ground
limestone is always the cheaper product but not because it's inferior,
its just quarried differently.

Hydrated lime is manufactured, not quarried.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Hydrated lime(WE used to call it sneezy lime) gives you a quick fix
for acid soils, but it doesn't last very long, it can also block the
uptake of Magnesium.
Ground limestone is slow acting and will last for several years, but
you need more to get the same PH level.
see http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...imingsoils.asp
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries