Old 29-01-2009, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\)[_271_] Robert \(Plymouth\)[_271_] is offline

Default More Carrot Questions

"Mel" wrote in message
A couple of questions about carrots. All the gardening books say not to
grow carrots in freshly-manured or composted soil. I know it's because
supposedly the manure/compost makes the roots fork.

Does that include even well-rotted manure that looks like lovely crumbly
soil?

And, does anyone have actual personal experience as to whether the roots
do, in fact, fork?

Thanks.

Oh yes they'll fork alright and in a gritty soil as well as freshly manured.
I sow mine in a raised compartment of EcoCsi compost collected in bulk from
our local Council Recycling place and they grow perfectly straight. I
imagine they would do just as well in well rotted manure provided you add a
balanced fertiliser as I do with my compost

www.rraa.moonfruit.com