Old 28-01-2009, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default More Carrot Questions

A couple of questions about carrots. All the gardening books say not to
grow carrots in freshly-manured or composted soil. I know it's because
supposedly the manure/compost makes the roots fork.

Does that include even well-rotted manure that looks like lovely crumbly
soil?

And, does anyone have actual personal experience as to whether the roots do,
in fact, fork?

Thanks.

Old 28-01-2009, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mel" wrote in message
A couple of questions about carrots. All the gardening books say not

grow carrots in freshly-manured or composted soil. I know it's

because
supposedly the manure/compost makes the roots fork.

Does that include even well-rotted manure that looks like lovely

crumbly
soil?

And, does anyone have actual personal experience as to whether the

roots do,
in fact, fork?

Thanks.

It is important that the soil is not too rich for the carrot seeds and
if you use manure, whether it be fresh or well rotted you are likely to
be breaking that important rule. So your well rotted manure should not
be used for growing carrots.

Carrot roots fork in land which is stony, has clods which are difficult
to penetrate, has excess nitrogen or pockets of manure.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 29-01-2009, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mel" wrote in message
A couple of questions about carrots. All the gardening books say not to
grow carrots in freshly-manured or composted soil. I know it's because
supposedly the manure/compost makes the roots fork.

Does that include even well-rotted manure that looks like lovely crumbly
soil?

And, does anyone have actual personal experience as to whether the roots
do, in fact, fork?

Thanks.

Oh yes they'll fork alright and in a gritty soil as well as freshly manured.
I sow mine in a raised compartment of EcoCsi compost collected in bulk from
our local Council Recycling place and they grow perfectly straight. I
imagine they would do just as well in well rotted manure provided you add a
balanced fertiliser as I do with my compost

www.rraa.moonfruit.com