Old 02-02-2009, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Good Monday morning

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote ...
Good morning everyone from a chilly South Wales.
We have just a dusting of snow with more ligh snow showers forcast
over the next 2 days.
Listening to the news takes me back to my younger days when we lived
in Hastings and I was in school in Canterbury.
In those days we always had good snowfalls in the winter, a couple of
times snowed in with drifts 6ft and more.
Each winter in Boarding school we would be able to build Igloos on the
school playing fields, and every winter the CanterburyDover road would
be closed because of drifting snow.
A lot of Farmers had snow ploughs that the council would leave with
them so thet when the heavy snow came they would fit them to their
tractors and would open the local roads.
I doubt that they exist today.
I found out that when I changed my Web host they managed to loose my
website, so I am busy building a new one.Good job in this weather.
We decided in the end to stick to Malta for our holiday instead of
Maderia, fortunatly we booked and paid before the pound droped in
value, Hope to take one or two plants out to the Botanic Gardens in
Valletta to trial them in their weather conditions.
Have a good day and stay warm Folks

Well we have quite a covering of snow here, they say it's the heaviest for
18 years, and it's about 6 inches thick. As much again is to come over night
as well.

I've often wondered why modern cars don't seem to cope as well with snow as
the older types and have come to the conclusion it's the modern wide tyres
not cutting down into the muck coupled with the electronic traction control
(which most Handbooks say should be turned off in snow) braking the spinning
wheels causing sliding. Of course there are also the drivers that have no
idea because it's such an unusual condition hereabouts (Surrey).
I remember, many years ago, driving the Hardknot and Wrynose passes (Lake
District) in heavy snow 4 up in a Morris 1300 (FWD) but I wouldn't dream of
trying it with our present, quite powerful, fat tyred RWD car.

Perhaps front wheel drive also has a detrimental effect.