Old 02-02-2009, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Good Monday morning

Good morning everyone from a chilly South Wales.
We have just a dusting of snow with more ligh snow showers forcast
over the next 2 days.
Listening to the news takes me back to my younger days when we lived
in Hastings and I was in school in Canterbury.
In those days we always had good snowfalls in the winter, a couple of
times snowed in with drifts 6ft and more.
Each winter in Boarding school we would be able to build Igloos on the
school playing fields, and every winter the CanterburyDover road would
be closed because of drifting snow.
A lot of Farmers had snow ploughs that the council would leave with
them so thet when the heavy snow came they would fit them to their
tractors and would open the local roads.
I doubt that they exist today.
I found out that when I changed my Web host they managed to loose my
website, so I am busy building a new one.Good job in this weather.
We decided in the end to stick to Malta for our holiday instead of
Maderia, fortunatly we booked and paid before the pound droped in
value, Hope to take one or two plants out to the Botanic Gardens in
Valletta to trial them in their weather conditions.
Have a good day and stay warm Folks
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 02-02-2009, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Dave Hill contains these words:

/snip/

A lot of Farmers had snow ploughs that the council would leave with
them so thet when the heavy snow came they would fit them to their
tractors and would open the local roads.
I doubt that they exist today.

They do in Norfolk.

I found out that when I changed my Web host they managed to loose my
website, so I am busy building a new one.

It's prbably lost in the WWW then.

Whistle, and it may come home.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 02-02-2009, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote ...
[...]

Well we have quite a covering of snow here, they say it's the heaviest for
18 years, and it's about 6 inches thick. As much again is to come over night
as well.

I've often wondered why modern cars don't seem to cope as well with snow as
the older types and have come to the conclusion it's the modern wide tyres
not cutting down into the muck coupled with the electronic traction control
(which most Handbooks say should be turned off in snow) braking the spinning
wheels causing sliding. Of course there are also the drivers that have no
idea because it's such an unusual condition hereabouts (Surrey).
I remember, many years ago, driving the Hardknot and Wrynose passes (Lake
District) in heavy snow 4 up in a Morris 1300 (FWD) but I wouldn't dream of
trying it with our present, quite powerful, fat tyred RWD car.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-02-2009, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote ...
[...]

Perhaps front wheel drive also has a detrimental effect.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Well we have quite a covering of snow here, they say it's the heaviest for
18 years, and it's about 6 inches thick. As much again is to come over
night
as well.

Lines of green still showing on the newly-planted arable opposite mine.
Maybe an inch has settled, but it's slightly above zero, so it's melting
as fast as it's coming down.

If it had been settling properly we'd have had three inches or more by now.

I've often wondered why modern cars don't seem to cope as well with snow as
the older types and have come to the conclusion it's the modern wide tyres
not cutting down into the muck coupled with the electronic traction control
(which most Handbooks say should be turned off in snow) braking the
spinning
wheels causing sliding. Of course there are also the drivers that have no
idea because it's such an unusual condition hereabouts (Surrey).
I remember, many years ago, driving the Hardknot and Wrynose passes (Lake
District) in heavy snow 4 up in a Morris 1300 (FWD) but I wouldn't dream of
trying it with our present, quite powerful, fat tyred RWD car.

Got from Essex to Ullapool (thence to Stornoway and onward into the
country for Hogmanay) with a fiend in his MkII Ford Concertina many
years ago - snow and ice all the way. Once in the Highlands we chose the
West Coast route because that is usually snow-free, but we had to follow
a snowplough from Tyndrum to Rannoch Moor, where the *&%@! thing turned
round, leaving us facing a three-foot wall of snow. Then, miraculously,
through the swirling snowflakes appeared a vertical halo of light, with
a flashing amber top. This turned out to be another snowplough (from the
next county) and we followed this through Glen Coe and up to Fort
William.

We passed by dozens of cars and vans parked neatly under precipices of
packed snow, and the blower-type snowploughs just sent jets of more snow
to add to the 'cliffs'.

Several cars looked as if they had been unceremoniously ploughed to the
side of the road to let the snowploughs by. Since the road we had
planned on taking would not be cleared - or not coordinated with the
next county's efforts, we wimped-out and took the Great Glen road,
finally losing the worst of the blizzard somewhere round Garve.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 02-02-2009, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

Perhaps front wheel drive also has a detrimental effect.

Quite the opposite.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 02-02-2009, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from Dave Hill contains these words:

/snip/

A lot of Farmers had snow ploughs that the council would leave with
them so thet when the heavy snow came they would fit them to their
tractors and would open the local roads.
I doubt that they exist today.

They do in Norfolk.

I found out that when I changed my Web host they managed to loose my
website, so I am busy building a new one.

It's prbably lost in the WWW then.

Whistle, and it may come home.

One hopes that he has a backup, and it's just a matter of uploading it
to the new host, with any tweaks necessary to adjust for the new host's
configuration.

If not, Google's cache, and the Wayback Machine (http://web.archive.org)
might have copies. (The Wayback Machine does seem to.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley