Old 02-02-2009, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Allotment Books

"Mel" wrote in message
Does anyone know of any allotment books that tell you, week by week, what
jobs, sowing, etc., to do on an allotment?

Any recommendations for a really thorough, allotment/vegetable gardening
book? I want one that tells me, for example, exactly what fertiliser to
use and when to use it.

Gardening and allotmenteering are scientific to a degree, but not a precise
science. Certainly in terms of sowing/planting times, things vary according
to several factors, including where you are. The right time to plant for me
close to the south coast won't be the right time for anybody who is much
further north. Also, the degree of shelter your site enjoys will be
relevant.

Likewise, the exact amount of fertiliser and what type of fertiliser to use
depends on your soil, and what condition it's in now.

I'd recommend your local library, mine has several books on allotmenteering,
fruit growing and various other gardening specialities. most books will give
you an idea of the order to plant stuff in, the starting time is up to you.

Steve