Old 02-02-2009, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotment Books

Does anyone know of any allotment books that tell you, week by week, what
jobs, sowing, etc., to do on an allotment?

Any recommendations for a really thorough, allotment/vegetable gardening
book? I want one that tells me, for example, exactly what fertiliser to use
and when to use it.

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mel" wrote in message
Does anyone know of any allotment books that tell you, week by week, what
jobs, sowing, etc., to do on an allotment?

Any recommendations for a really thorough, allotment/vegetable gardening
book? I want one that tells me, for example, exactly what fertiliser to
use and when to use it.

Gardening and allotmenteering are scientific to a degree, but not a precise
science. Certainly in terms of sowing/planting times, things vary according
to several factors, including where you are. The right time to plant for me
close to the south coast won't be the right time for anybody who is much
further north. Also, the degree of shelter your site enjoys will be
relevant.

Likewise, the exact amount of fertiliser and what type of fertiliser to use
depends on your soil, and what condition it's in now.

I'd recommend your local library, mine has several books on allotmenteering,
fruit growing and various other gardening specialities. most books will give
you an idea of the order to plant stuff in, the starting time is up to you.

Steve

Old 02-02-2009, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mel wrote:
Does anyone know of any allotment books that tell you, week by week,
what jobs, sowing, etc., to do on an allotment?

Any recommendations for a really thorough, allotment/vegetable
gardening book? I want one that tells me, for example, exactly what
fertiliser to use and when to use it.

Thanks.

'Vegetable Growing month by month' by John Harrison. Published by 'Right
Way' @ £5.99
John runs this forum......
http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php
Best six quid I ever spent
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 03-02-2009, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete C wrote:
Mel wrote:
Does anyone know of any allotment books that tell you, week by week,
what jobs, sowing, etc., to do on an allotment?

Any recommendations for a really thorough, allotment/vegetable
gardening book? I want one that tells me, for example, exactly what
fertiliser to use and when to use it.

Thanks.

'Vegetable Growing month by month' by John Harrison. Published by
'Right Way' @ £5.99
John runs this forum......
http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php
Best six quid I ever spent

Even cheaper on Amazon! ;-)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetable-Gr...3702336&sr=1-1

--
Chris H,
He's predictable, but that's to be expected.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris H wrote:
Pete C wrote:
Mel wrote:
Does anyone know of any allotment books that tell you, week by week,
what jobs, sowing, etc., to do on an allotment?

Any recommendations for a really thorough, allotment/vegetable
gardening book? I want one that tells me, for example, exactly what
fertiliser to use and when to use it.

Thanks.

'Vegetable Growing month by month' by John Harrison. Published by
'Right Way' @ £5.99
John runs this forum......
http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php
Best six quid I ever spent

Even cheaper on Amazon! ;-)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetable-Gr...3702336&sr=1-1

True, but they aren't signed by the author
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 06-02-2009, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 23:06:49 -0000, "Chris H"
wrote:

Pete C wrote:
Mel wrote:
Does anyone know of any allotment books that tell you, week by
week, what jobs, sowing, etc., to do on an allotment?

Any recommendations for a really thorough, allotment/vegetable
gardening book? I want one that tells me, for example, exactly
what fertiliser to use and when to use it.

Thanks.
'Vegetable Growing month by month' by John Harrison. Published by
'Right Way' @ £5.99
John runs this forum......
http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php
Best six quid I ever spent

Even cheaper on Amazon! ;-)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetable-Gr...3702336&sr=1-1

£4.79

and cheaper still via Abebooks
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...h%27&x=62&y=10

GBP2.70

John actually tells people they can get it cheaper..............well, he's a
gardener, not a businessman
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 06-02-2009, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetable-Gr...arth/dp/071602....

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...arrison&sts=t&...

GBP2.70

John actually tells people they can get it cheaper..............well,
he's a
gardener, not a businessman
--
Pete C
London UK

Pete, how is the lottie coming on, do you have any beans or onions
in? Secondly did you plant the C. Lucifer?

Judith

wanted to sell some of my gardening books and rose books blackdog Gardening 1 28-08-2007 12:09 PM
Hugh Johnson Books, books, books? Jim W United Kingdom 0 17-08-2003 08:45 PM
Great Dixter. Follow up. Books, books, books? Mike United Kingdom 4 17-08-2003 11:32 AM
Overgrown allotment? H United Kingdom 10 16-01-2003 11:27 PM
Newbie - Allotment clearance Sam United Kingdom 3 27-10-2002 05:49 PM