Old 02-02-2009, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default where to see espaliers

minnesota espaliest wrote:
Please, I am wanting to travel to the UK and France to see espaliers.
Can you please tell me where I can find public espalier displays? The
name of the garden and the location would be oh-so-helpful identifiers
for me.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Minnesota, US espaliest

Well a nice French garden, with lots of espaliered apple and pear,
is at Ch. Villandry. There are fairly extensive pictures of the
gardens at www.chateauvillandry.com, not that I saw any signs of
espaliers on the site. Villandry is a town on the Loire near Tours.

Here in Lower Normandy espaliers are to be found (either pear or apple)
on virtually every old farmhouse. The small heritage apple garden
in Alencon is done entirely in espalier, for example, although I'd
not really think it worth the voyage. There are some nice Tilia
done this way too.

-E